What is Body Peace?
Body peace is about having respect for all body types, including your own. It means being non-judgmental about food choices and exercise habits. With Body Peace, together we create an environment where people of all size and shapes feel welcome.
Why should I help?
Healthy communities foster healthy individuals. Negative body image impacts mental and physical health in a number of ways, such as anxiety, depression and eating disorders. Body image affects people of all genders. That’s why it benefits everyone when we are more accepting and accessible to everyone’s bodies, regardless of size and ability.
How can I help?
- Promote International No Diet Day (May 6th). Show how you’re celebrating with the hashtag #nodiet
- Do not participate in diet/weight loss talk
- Don’t judge the food habits or eating choices of other people
- Compliment your friends on their skills, achievements and contributions instead of focusing on appearance
- Create spaces that welcome and accommodate all body types
- Doing a presentation? Use visuals in your work that shows a diverse range of body types in a positive way. This includes all body sizes, abilities, skin tones, and more than the gender binary.
- Accept and respect all bodies
Want to learn more? Check out our section on Body Image.
There’s also a great blog post from Women’s Health Clinic on body positivity.